7.27.2012

On Procrastination.

I have a love/hate relationship with procrastination.

As an Artist, I work really well when under pressure-- time constraints being the perfect type of pressure to bring on the inspiration. SO if I have a month to complete something, chances are I will not start it until 2 days before I need to have it done.

In college this proved to be the only way I would receive an "A" on a project. I mean seriously. My best writing, painting, and thinking happens when the pressure was on. If I spent a lot of time on something, I was guaranteed a D, if I pulled an all nighter to start & finish the project,  got the best grade in the class.

The problem with procrastination is that when you procrastinate in every day life you tend to have unnecessary stress.. Like.. having to do 6 loads of laundry at once, or standing at the sink for 2 hours washing dishes.. or god forbid someone drop by your house unexpectedly because then you have to explain why you've been living like a slob and as every excuse flies off your tongue all you can smell is a bunch of bull shit.

So like with every new year, this new year I came up with a list of things that would contribute to my self-improvement, and I didn't call them resolutions, I called them exactly what they are.. Improvements.


On of those improvements was ending my love affair with procrastination. The cons of procrasinating outweigh the pros, so.. along with drinking wine every night, it had to go.

(You'd be surprised how much weight you loose when you ditch the nightly red stuff)

SO slowly but surely I changed my habits-- Slow and steady wins the race right?

I can officially say I am about 85% procrastination free, and it feels great. My house is clean as a whistle always. Everything is organized. The laundry is done. The dishes are clean & put away. The bed is made every morning. And I even make it to the gym on a regular basis (except this past week) because I stopped putting it off, I just go.

AND I did all this without coffee. Amazing.

The only places I still struggle with procrastination are in the yard (but it's just effing hot as hell out there, I mean.. Florida & summers= sauna) and with my art. 

In fact, the reason why I am here right now is because I am PROCRASTINATING. I have a commission to finish, and I JUST don't feel like it. I would honestly rather mop the floors for the 3rd time this week.

It's not that I am not excited about the work-- it's just.. I just can't get motivated. I can't get my mind off of our wedding, and budgets, and designing invitations that I wont actually need until January.

In my mind I am justifying this distraction with things like:

"Well you are on a small budget, you need to be prepared"

&

"Once you get all this wedding stuff out of the way you can focus on your work"

or my favorite so far:

"The holiday's are right around the corner, you want to have all this stuff out of the way so your aren't experiencing HOLIDAY stress & WEDDING stress"

hahahhaa! LIESSSS, it's all LIES. 

I just need to plug in that damn wacom pad, put on some flying lotus and freaking work!

Such a slacker.

So, Whats up this weekend? Anything exciting for you peeps out there in bloggy land?

We've got an in-home date night planned for this evening. Dinner & Netflix marathon. I think tonights theme will be Hitchcock flicks! My favorite!


Have a great weekend!

Namaste!
r






2 comments:

  1. This weekend I have a combo of essay writing (due monday) amd procrastinating as I watch the Olympics....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, procrastination. My best friend and worst enemy. I feel like this post could have been written by me... except for the part where you give up procrastination and go for the neat and organized! =) Well, I'm working on it, but in the meantime, congrats on (mostly) getting rid of procrastination! It is no small feat.

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love comments?