11.19.2011

Pumpkin-Carrot Cake for Oscar

I mentioned in a previous post that I am having friends over for dinner tonight.

I made my famous mashed potatoes and I am slow roasting a chicken right now. My friend is bringing the salad and lemon cookies (my favorite!) and I will probably think of one more thing to whip up by the end of the day.

Birthday cake is also on the menu.

That's because one of my favorite people has a birthday on the 22nd.
He likes carrot cake, but I had already bought white cake mix, so I had to improvise.. I hope he likes the results.

You can't be afraid to improvise in the kitchen to make your friends happy--
Best life advise I've ever gotten, ever..

So this is what I had on hand....


So I shredded some carrots, about 2 cups.


Then I added the canned pumpkin, 2 tbs pumpkin spice seasoning, 4 tbs of cinnamon, 1 1/4 c water, and 3 eggs. {The cake mix calls for oil, but because of the canned pumpkin, you will not need any oil for this cake} 
Once the mixture is thoroughly combine add in the cake mixture, so it looks like this.


I used an 8 inch round pan, and since I only have one pan I had to cook each layer one at a time @ 350 for 30 mins each. Let the layers cool, and add your favorite frosting. 

Cream Cheese, Butter Cream or plain white icing are good choices, a glaze would be yummy too.. 
{I used white icing}

Then I decorated it; my cake decorating skills are sub-par to my kitchen skills, but it's the thought that counts right?
I am sure Oscar will be thrilled. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments?